Music heritage in Emilia-Romagna
Discover the beauty of Emilia-Romagna through its musical culture.
Foto di Ylanite Koppens da Pexels
Emilia-Romagna has always been a land of music, from ancient to modern times. It is not only the region of many contemporary rock, jazz and pop singers- such as Laura Pausini, Zucchero or Lucio Dalla- Emilia-Romagna boasts a lot of important opera singers, composers and conductors. Among the many it is worth mentioning Giuseppe Verdi, whom Parma dedicates a festival every year at the Teatro Regio.
Do not forget Luciano Pavarotti, one of the most talented and famous tenors in the world. The singer was born in Modena and after his death his home became a house-museum, where you can find his private collection of memorabilia, costumes and awards collected during his long career.
Emilia-Romagna has also a strong folkloristic music tradition. This genre was extremely important in the 1950s and 1960s in the Balere (see the Liscio Museum in Savignano sul Rubicone), and Raoul Casadei and Tienno Pattacini are two of the most famous orchestras.
As we can see, Emilia Romagna’s musical heritage has a profound history and embraces different music genres.
STUDY AND WORK OPPORTUNITIES
If you are a musician or you want to become one, Emilia-Romagna offers you the possibility to study and work in important academies and orchestras. Here you will find three of the best opportunities for your music career in Emilia-Romagna:
Accademia Filarmonica: a corporation of professional musicians that in the past had eminent members like Wagner, Puccini, Liszt and Verdi.
Accademia dell'Orchestra Mozart, founded in 2005, in a few years it became a pole of attraction for Italian and foreign musicians: musical education is one of the main fields of operation. The Accademia gives space to young talents, and the best students are invited to play in the Mozart Orchestra itself.
Conservatorio (Conservatoire) of Giovan Battista Martini offers a wide range of study possibilities covering many centuries of history, from ancient music to the new musical technologies and languages. This was the first musical public school in Italy and it had students such as the composers Gioachino Rossini and Gaetano Donizetti. The school is open to international students.
Orchestra Giovanile Luigi Cherubini: It was founded by Maestro Riccardo Muti in 2004 and is composed of young artists under 30, who are selected through a commission of top musicians from prestigious European orchestras. The admitted musicians stay in the orchestra for only three years, and at the end of this period they have the opportunity to work in other famous orchestras.
Foto di Vishnu R Nair da Pexels
MUSIC EVENTS YOU CANNOT MISS:
These are some of the musical events taking place throughout the year in Emilia-Romagna.
- Teatro Regio di Parma: from November 2021 until May 2022 there will be a series of classical music concerts with world-famous soloists such as Alexander Lonquich, Beatrice Rana, Andràs Schiff, David Russell and many others.
- Bologna Festival: every year holds many musical events divided in different strands: “Grandi Interpreti” dedicated to classic music; “Talenti”, a space open to young European talents; “Il Nuovo Antico” which puts together ancient and contemporary music.
- Teatro Claudio Abbado: the Municipal Theatre of Ferrara hosts symphonic music concerts, operas and concerts of contemporary music. Some will be entirely dedicated to the works of Johann Sebastian Bach and Josquin Desprez.
- Opera and Ballet Season of the Municipal Theater: Classical music events during the year.
- Teatro Amintore Galli: until December 2021 it will be possible to take part in various musical events in Rimini featuring the MARIINSKY orchestra, Filarmonica Marchigiana’s soloists, Accademia di Santa Cecilia’s orchestra and many other musicians.
- Orchestra Giovanile Luigi Cherubini: From 4th to 15th December 2021 it will be possible to participate at the seventh edition of "Riccardo Muti Italian Opera Academy" focused on Nabucco and directed by Maestro Riccardo Muti.
- Concerts of Orchestra Mozart: known worldwide due to the breathtaking concerts of the past 10 years.
- Musical events of International museum and library of music of Bologna
- Musical events in Teatro Alighieri in Ravenna
Don't miss the chance to enjoy good music in great places!